Saturday, April 26, 2008

Blue Bowl with Pears


Oil on Canvas 8"x24" --------clickable image
This piece is a study for a larger version. I am trying out lighter backgrounds to see how the subject matter stands out. Also, I chose to underpaint a full black and white version as a way to establish the tones and get a handle on the shapes. Normally, I use a wash of burnt umber, and allow the white of the canvas to portray the light areas. A fully rendered black and white underpainting takes longer, and I have to wait for it to dry, but I think the final result has more authority.
This month I created two other paintings that I didn't like and won't bother posting them. My day job has increased time wise and is getting close to being full time, consequently, my posts will continue to be slow. Such is life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alvin Richard said...

Stunning, the surface of the pears is as good if not better than the real thing....great composition, LOVE IT!

April 26, 2008 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger m collier said...

Very nice composition – really like the perspective.

June 1, 2008 at 6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home