Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Blue Plate #3


Oil on Canvas 22"x28"
I chose a closer perspective on this piece, trying to emphasize the contrast in size between the similar round shapes. The highlighted plumb in the middle became the focal point, and I didn't want to overwork it. I kept it loose while retaining the complex detail and I think it worked well. One of the challenges in closeup is creating the right amount of texture. The lemon in the foreground has a certain amount, whithout looking like it has acne, which it did for a while. I had to de-emphasize the dimples and yet still give it some of that suggestion.

4 Comments:

Blogger A Reason to Paint said...

And you did it all perfectly - this is divine!

November 28, 2007 at 1:09 AM  
Blogger Alvin Richard said...

Beautiful painting, great composition, color and light! Brilliant!!!

November 28, 2007 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger Don Gray said...

John, I really admire your work--very powerful realism. I hope you don't mind, but I'm tagging you. Details are on my blog. Play along if you have the time or inclination.

December 3, 2007 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Mariela said...

I love this painting!
The colors, the composition, the lights and shadows!!!

February 27, 2008 at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home