Saturday, December 22, 2007

Tableau#1


Oil on Canvas 22"x28"
The play of light over the pear and apple on the right is what interested my eye in this piece. I also chose to crop the grouping to give it more impact..plus it meant I had less stripes to do. Deciding how dark to make the shadows is always an issue..almost a mood thing. The photo tended to overstate the shadows a bit..but I did make them fairly contrasty. The other thing that got me going on this painting is the sort of "Fruit on Parade" aspect. I like the theatrical appearance, whithout too much contrivance. This piece is headed for the Ian Tan Gallery in Vancouver, which so far, is proving to be a good gallery for me to show.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alvin Richard said...

Oh WOW!!!! are the words that came out of my mouth the second I saw it. It is absolutely brilliant. The way the fruits are layed out, it is almost like objects in a landscape. Your fascination with the stripe fabric has really hit a cord with you and it is immaculately painted. If you would have included a hazey opened space country side setting instead of the cloth, I am sure that it would have had a much different feeling, since the lighting seems to be of a natual source (re: the sun). LOVE IT! just LOVE IT! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

December 22, 2007 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger A Reason to Paint said...

There is so much to this that I really enjoy, the light on the apple to the left, the dent in the pear and that delicious deep purple plum - yep the plum is my favorite, a small little fellow but with so much punch!

December 30, 2007 at 1:43 AM  
Blogger Luis Colan said...

Hello John, you have beautiful work. I just came across your site last night and was very happy with my discovery. I wanted to let you know that you have been tagged. Some artist bloggers are doing this tag game and now you're it. You're supposed to write a blog post/entry saying that you've been tagged and list 5 little known facts about you. Then you are supposed to list 5 artist/bloggers you like, provide a link to their page and then let them know that they have been tagged. They are to receive the same instructions. Hope all is well, take care, and can't wait to see more of your work.

Luis

January 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home