Thursday, May 31, 2007

Red Pear


Oil on Canvas 40"x30"
I've done a few paintings with striped backgrounds like this. I like how the background becomes more active, more theatrical. Because the stripes are so dynamic, I have to arrange the folds carefully, so they don't compete with the foreground. Sometimes I spend hours just pfoofing the fabric, trying to get the folds "just right". Usually the best attempt is the first one, when I wasn't thinking about it too much. The light here is early morning, well, not too early, certainly not before coffee. I don't see red pears very often, I thought it would make an interesting contrast with the green.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Wow. You have more patience than I do, that's for sure.

I've always been a fan of pattern and repetition in paintings, I think it's the key to successful painting when they're applied. Your paintings with the striped background are very active and draw me in.

They are beautiful indeed.

June 1, 2007 at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home